The group decides to use the time where Fist and Hikaru are resting to start looking for the next opportunity for employment. With winter a month away and the worst of the snow only a few weeks later, the group will need funds to make it through the season where Waterdeep and the North partially shut down as travel become nearly impossible.
Maiele decides to return to the Cartographer’s Guild to see if the posted job is still available. On the door of the Guild is a copy of the job offer:
The Surveyors’, Maps’ and Chart-makers’ Guild requires a group of hardy individuals to confirm the veracity of a map in the Guild’s possession. The individuals must be willing to travel in the Wild several days beyond the walls of the City and explore and chart to the Guild’s satisfaction the area indicated on the map. The location to be charted will be given once the individuals have been chosen. References will be required. Enquire at the Map House, Waterdeep Way in the Castle Ward. Signed: Halaviir Touzoun First Chartist, Nov 1st, 1357.
Maiele quickly enquires within if the job is still available and is told that it is. On the way back, he stops by one of the many Watch posts in the Castle Ward and learns that the mission for the Watch into Undermountain is still available. He takes a copy of the job bill:
Citizens of Waterdeep,
The Watch of Waterdeep, under the command of Lord Piergeiron, requests assistance from a group of adventurers to complete a mission of great importance. Know ye that the mission shall require said group to enter the area known as Undermountain. The precise nature of said mission shall be disclosed upon approval of applicants. All Watch civilars have been made aware of the mission and are enabled to direct any applicant to the appropriate authorities. Applicants may make their desire to fulfill the mission known to any Watch civilar.
Signed Captain Rulathon, 2nd in Command, Waterdeep Watch, Oct. 31st, 1357
Maiele then swings by the Bowels of Earth Tavern to check on Blazidon and the job board. Blazidon is not to be found at such an early hour but a recruiter from the temple of Helm (LN God of protection) was seeking recruits for the annual tithe for Helm’s Hundred, the annual contribution from Helm’s Hold to the war against Hellgate Keep.
- The recruits would be paid 1gp per day from enrolment until the end of the summer with a 10 gp enlistment bonus.
- They would be provided transport to Helm’s Hold to train for the winter.
- Come spring, they would be moved to the front at Sundabar and Turnstone Pass.
- At the end of the summer, they could decide to leave or re-enlist.
- Training, equipment,food and lodging would be provided.
Maiele listens to the recruiter’s presentation then heads back to the Gentle Rest Inn where the group is staying and briefs the rest of the group.
Fist and Hikaru, feeling somewhat better, come down to the common room and join Maiele, Anna and Gaau. At the nearby tables, the talk is about the coming winter and the prospects next spring. Of the many tales they hear, some standout:
- A huge black dragon landed in Amphail, a village to the north of Waterdeep, in the broad of day on October 31st. He smashed open a house and proceeded to thrash the owner around while obviously demanding something of him. None stayed close enough to hear what the dragon was saying but once he was satisfied, he took flight and dropped the unfortunate man from several hundred feet. The same dragons is believed to be the one who battled two gold dragons above Waterdeep. Nothing has been heard of the two gold dragons.
- The coming winter looks to be a bad one. Already, it has snowed more than last year at the same date and the weather is worse than usual this year. The last time this happened, many wild beasts and monsters had to be defended against as they roamed near the City.
- An inquisitor of Torm, member of the Order of the Cleansing Flame, has left Waterdeep up the Long Rong. He was seen rising forth from the Northgate, late at night. The reason his departure was so noticed is that he was is such haste, the gate guards were nearly ridden over.
The group meets the next morning, the 6th of November 1357, to make plans. What shall they do?